The stunning vocal presence and emotional range of his new CD, Because Of You, catapults Kenny Rankin to the forefront of American male vocalists. While he assumed great celebrity for his breakthrough pop release of the 1970's, the sophisticated and intimate approach he takes with his interpretations of classic American standards by Gershwin, Berlin, Rodgers & Hart, Monk, as well as his own original compositions, will re-introduce him as a brilliant innovator in the elevation of pop music.
Main Artists Kenny Rankin
David Finck - bass
Steve Kroon - percussion
Danilo Perez - piano
Dave Ratajczak - drums
George Young - flute, sax (soprano, tenor)
Producer David Chesky, Kenny Rankin
Executive Producer Norman Chesky
Co-Producer Steve Guttenberg, Lisa Hershfield, Jim Lopata
Engineer Bill Allen, Bob Katz
Assistant Engineer Jeremy Kipnis
Recorded August 30-31, 1991.
This album was made with the purest audio path, using the very best microphones, mic preamps, analog-to-digital converters, recorders, and cables with careful attention to detail to produce the most transparent and natural sound available today.
Because Of You (JD63)
- Berimbau (Ray Gilbert/Vinicius de Moraes/Baden Powell)
- What Am I Gonna Do With You...Aime? (Kenny Rankin)
- Haven't We Met? (Ruth Batchelor/Kenny Rankin)
- 'Round Midnight (Bernie Hanighen/Thelonious Monk/Cootie Williams)
- Someone To Watch Over Me (George Gershwin/Ira Gershwin)
- Erienda (Aime Ulrich Rankin/Kenny Rankin)
- I Could Write A Book (Lorenz Hart/Richard Rodgers)
- Always (Irving Berlin)
- This Old Man (For William Henry Rankin) (Aime Ulrich Rankin/Kenny Rankin)
- Doralice (Antonio Almeida/Laurindo Almeida/Dori Caymmi)
- Because Of You (Arthur Hammerstein/Dudley Wilkinson)
Photography by David King.
Art direction and design by Hal Wilson.
Reviews"Valid, moving, and superbly performed. The recording is first-rate, one of the best from Chesky--no faint praise. Highly recommended." - Thomas J. Norton, Stereophile