Circle of Drums features three great drum artists, Babatunde Olatunji, Muruga Booker, and Sikiru Adepoju. Their drumming styles combine with vocal chants, ancient stringed instruments and synth drones to create a trance-like soundscape that brings to mind the experimental rock of the 1960s when eastern philosophies and cultures were informing Western popular music.
Main Artist Herbie Mann
Sikiru Adepoju - clay drums, cowbell, drums, gudu gudu, shekere, talking drum
Harry Ely - hammer dulcimer
James Gurley - ektara, strings
Muruga - drums, synthesizer
Babatunde Olatunji - ashiko drum, djembe, drums, ngoma, vocals
Shakti - vocals
Producer David Chesky
Executive Producer David Chesky, Norman Chesky
Co-Producer Matthew Epstein, Lisa Hershfield
Editing Engineer Nicholas Prout
Mastering Engineer Nicholas Prout
This album was made with the purest audio path, using the very best microphones, mic preamps, analog-to-digital converters, recorders, and cables with careful attention to detail to produce the most transparent and natural sound available today.
Circle of Drums (SACD295)
- Stepping (Isise) (Sikiru Adepoju/Muruga Booker/Babatunde Olatunji)
- Incantations (Sikiru Adepoju/Muruga Booker/Babatunde Olatunji)
- Dawn (Idaji) (Sikiru Adepoju/Muruga Booker/Babatunde Olatunji)
- Embracement (Sikiru Adepoju/Muruga Booker/Babatunde Olatunji)
- Ascension (Igoke) (Sikiru Adepoju/Muruga Booker/Babatunde Olatunji)
- Cosmic Rhythm Vibrations (Sikiru Adepoju/Muruga Booker/Babatunde Olatunji)
Art direction by Aldo Sampieri.
Photography by Janette Beckman.
Reviews"It's as if some elemental, primeval, mystical musical force were somehow magically captured on a piece of polycarbonate, to be released when played back on a music system. The sound quality is as staggering as the music." - FI