Phil Woods, the searing Alto saxophonist and clarinetist, calls his occasional expanded combo 'the Little Big Band. ' Here's To My Lady, the octet's first recording, offers up a hot band with inventive solos and big-sounding, imaginative ensembles. This is an album with no let downs.
Main Artists Phil Woods
Tommy Flanagan, piano
George Mraz, bass
Kenny Washington, drums
Phil Woods, clarinet, alto sax
Producer David Chesky
Executive Producer Norman Chesky
Co-Producer Bryn Chernoff, Billy Francis, Jill Goodwin, Lisa Hershfield, Didier Raxchou
Engineer Bob Katz, Joe Salvatto
Assistant Engineer Rick Eckerle, Dennis Ferrante
Editing Engineer Nicholas Prout
Mastering Engineer Nicholas Prout
Recorded December 20 - 21, 1998.
This album was made with the purest audio path, using the very best microphones, mic preamps, analog-to-digital converters, recorders, and cables with careful attention to detail to produce the most transparent and natural sound available today.
Here’s To My Lady (SACD268)
- Superette [Tom Harrell]
- Johnny Hodges [Phil Woods]
- Another Love Song [Phil Woods]
- Canadian Sunset [Norman Gimbel/Eddie Heywood]
- Charles Christopher [Phil Woods]
- Butter [Jonathan Davis/Jerry Dodgion/Ali Muhammad/Malik Taylor]
- Visions of Gaudi [Tom Harrell]
- Yours Is My Heart Alone [Ludwig Herzer/Franz Lehar/Beda Fritz Loehner/Harry Smith]
- Blue and Sentimental [Count Basie/Mack David/Jerry Livingston]
- Origins [Hal Crook]
- Here's To My Lady [Rube Bloom/Johnny Mercer]
- Waltz For Debby [Bill Evans/Gene Lees]
- Just Us [Hal Galper]
Liner notes by Bret Primack.
Cover Art by Brigid Kavanagh.
Photography by David King.
Art Direction by Aldo Sampieri.
Reviews"It's the perfect arrangement for his gleaming virtuosity. He couldn't have picked a supporting cast that was more understanding and impeccably reactive. They wrap beauty inside beauty. To make it even better, the sound is especially marvelous on this Chesky CD." - Jazziz